The town is in the extreme northwest of the county. Its first settlers were
K. Erickson and J. Gunderson, who came in 1852. The town was organized in 1856,
and C. K. Blandin became its first Postmaster. That gentleman operated the first
store the year before, and Mary Taggart taught the first school. In 1854, S. S.
and J. W. Chandler and S. Miller built the first saw-mill, the grist-mill coming
along in 1861.
IOLA AND HARRISON
Iola and Harrison are the northwest townships of the county, lola being the only village in that long stretch of country. The original Iola Township of 1855 was split in two when Helvetia was set off in 1860, and it was reduced to its present area when Harrison was formed by the county board in November, 1890.